What is RIDDOR and how do employers comply with it?

If you are starting your own business for the first time, you should familiarize yourself with the important legislation called RIDDER. RIDDOR stands for Injury, Illness and Dangerous Occurrence Reporting Regulations. This is UK health and safety legislation from 2013 which requires companies and individuals who control workplaces to report serious workplace accidents, occupational diseases and certain dangerous incidents (immediate incidents). Failure to comply with this legislation can result in a significant fine or even jail time.


If you are responsible for any commercial premises in the UK, be sure to review the following questions and answers in relation to RIDDOR.

Who should take responsibility for submitting a RIDDOR report?

A “responsible person” who manages a utility rooms must submit reports under RIDDOR. If you are creating a company with premises where staff will work for the first time, then you must choose yourself or one of your co-founders as the person responsible for filling out these reports in the event of a dangerous incident or near miss. It would be appropriate to add this to your internal manual on occupational safetyto make it clear what happens if you need to make a report to the HSE.

What types of incidents are reportable under this legislation?

Any serious accident, dangerous incident or illness must be reported to the HSE, including the following:

  • The death of any person that occurs on your premises – even if the person is not an employee of your company. The only exception is if the cause of death is suicide.
  • Injuries listed under RIDDOR 2013 legislation – this includes fractures, amputations, injuries causing loss or impairment of vision, contusions, serious burns, scalping, head injuries and injuries requiring intensive care or hospitalization for more than 24 hours. Be sure to check out information on reportable incidents is available on the HSE website.
  • Incapacity of the employee for more than 7 days – you must notify the HSE of any worker who is injured at your establishment, including self-employed staff, if the injury has resulted in them being unable to carry out their normal duties for more than seven consecutive days.
  • Non-fatal accidents involving non-workers – if a member of the public is injured on your premises and requires hospital treatment, you must notify the HSE. However, there is no need to file a report if the person is taken to the hospital as a precaution and there are no visible injuries.
  • Occurrence of occupational disease – for example carpal tunnel syndrome, hand-hand vibration syndrome, occupational asthmadermatitis or cancer.
  • Any hazardous events that have occurred on your premises – for example, breakdown of machines or equipment. Be sure to read it recommendations for dangerous events on the HSE website and add relevant material to your internal health and safety documents.
  • Any incidents involving gas – for example, an incident where someone has died, passed out or required hospital treatment following a gas incident. They need to be reported with help HSE Flammable Gas Incident Form.

How do I submit a RIDDOR report?

Reporting to RIDDOR is relatively easy. First, you need to determine what type of RIDDOR report you need to generate based on the nature of the incident. Then you can submit the report online through the HSE website. There is also a telephone reporting service, but this is only for fatal and specific incidents. You must also maintain an internal record of the report for compliance purposes.

What are the penalties for failure to provide a report on demand?

The penalty for failing to report an incident subject to RIDDOR will depend on the seriousness of the incident. Courts can impose a prison sentence of up to 2 years for the most serious offences, or a fine of up to £20,000 in the Magistrates’ Court or an unlimited fine in the Crown Court. In addition, employers or responsible persons may be issued with an improvement or prohibition notice.

Do you comply with RIDDOR health and safety regulations?

Be sure to check the compliance of your internal documents with the instructions posted on the HSE website. Also consider hiring a health and safety consultant to ensure your business complies with all relevant legislation welfare those who work or visit your premises.

Leave a Comment